Wednesday, December 14, 2022

My wife got a khulˁ divorce...

     My wife got a khulˁ divorce (a divorce requested by a woman ready to give up all her financial rights). Does she have to observe ˁIddah (a waiting period before a woman can remarry), and if so, where should she be during it?

The Answer:

     Scholars consider this type of divorce to be irrevocable. The woman begins her ˁIddah (waiting period) as soon as the judge gives her the divorce.

It is better for her to spend her waiting period in her parents’ house, but if she is pregnant, she should observe it in her husband’s house.

Categories: Fatwah