Statement of Al-Azhar Senior Scholars Authority on the Precautions and Protective Measures to Prevent the Outbreak of Covid-19
In light of the successive health reports about the sudden outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) and with the recurrent medical information indicating that the second wave of the virus increases in intensity, Al-Azhar Senior Scholars Authority reaffirms the compelling necessity to follow the precautions and protective measures defined by health authorities, with special focus on the following: -
1) Putting on face masks is a religious obligation as this helps prevent people from being infected with the deadly virus and then spread it here and there. This obligation applies when people mingle with one another, especially when attending the congregational prayers.
2) Muslims should avoid shaking hands and embracing one another. They should also observe social distancing recommended by health authorities.
3) Muslims should get prepared and perform their ritual ablution in their homes before heading to mosques for offering prayers in congregation.
4) Standing in lines for prayers while observing a distance between people is permissible and it does not affect the validity of prayer.
5) People with health conditions and the elderly are excused from attending the congregational prayers in mosques.
6) Mosques should be well sanitized and cleaned. It should be noted that using alcohol based sanitizers are permitted in such circumstances.
9) Offering the supererogatory prayers at homes is better than offering them in mosques.
10) All gatherings should be avoided and people can share feelings of happiness and sadness through phones, social media platforms, etc.